The Finance Department works to ensure that all of Richmond’s revenues, expenses, and reserves are managed and accounted for in an effective and efficient manner, and all financial records are presented in a timely and accurate format to the Selectboard and the Town Treasurer.
This is accomplished by annually reviewing and enforcing the Town’s policies, procedures, and accounting controls to ensure they meet Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and follow best practices as determined by the Town’s Selectboard, Town Manager, and Finance Director. In addition, the Town has an audit done annually, by an external accounting firm, that reviews all financial transactions and management of the Towns Taxes, Water, Reserve accounts, revenue, expenses, loans, and grants.
The Town of Richmond has four property tax installments each year which are due on August 15th, November 15th, February 15th, and May 15th. Late payments are charged a 1% monthly interest fee for the first 90 days past due, and 1.5% monthly interest fee for amounts more than 90 days past due. If all annual taxes are not paid by May 15th there is an additional 8% penalty fee and the account status is considered delinquent at that time.
The Richmond Water & Wastewater department has four installments each year that are due on September 30th, December 31st, March 31st, and June 30th. Accounts with outstanding balances are charged a 1% monthly interest fee. If all water payments are not made in full by June 30th there is a 8% penalty fee applied to the account. Outstanding balances will result in an account being shut off if a payment agreement is not in place or a balance is not paid in full.
If any tax or water installment due dates fall on a weekend or holiday the payment will not be subject to late fees as long as it is made by the first business day following the weekend or holiday.
Town Center Building
203 Bridge St
PO Box 285
Richmond, VT 05477
Property Taxes - Methods of Tax Payment
- Check: You may mail a check, put it in the Town Center Drop Box, or bring it to the Town Clerk’s Office. Please note your parcel ID on the check. If you send a post-dated check, we will hold it until the date on the check.
- Money Order: You may obtain a money order from the post office or the bank.
- Bill Pay: This method is available through your bank online. Please note your Parcel ID on the payment.
- Direct Debit: You may sign up for the Town’s bank to take the payment electronically from your checking or savings account on the due date. Request a Direct Debit form from the Town Clerk’s Office and return it with a copy of a voided check. If you change your bank account or sell your property you need to contact the Town Clerk’s Office.
- Richmond Website: Starting five days before payment is due, go to richmondvt.gov to make an ELECTRONIC PAYMENT (below), using your credit or debit card, or checking account. There is a fee for the transaction and you can only pay for the payment that is due.
- Late Payments:
- Interest of 1% is applied each month for payments that are 1-90 days late
- Interest of 1.5% is applied each month for payments that are 91 plus days late
- Penalty of 8% is applied, in the month of May, to balances that are past due for the current year
Property Taxes - Electronic Payments
The link to pay online will be live for one week prior to the due date for each tax installment. This link will be live from February 8 to 11:59pm on February 15 for the February15 due date. This tax payment portal can be used to pay current year taxes only. The balance due on your taxes is not available through this portal so you will need your tax bill in order to know how much to pay.
Convenience fees are charged by Invoice Cloud for this service.
For additional information before registering for Invoice Cloud , please contact the Richmond Financial Director at cbona@ or (802) 336-2094. richmondvt.gov