The Richmond Town Forest was established in 2018. Through the generosity of the Andrews family, the Town acquired and conserved 428 acres of forestland and farmland through the Vermont Land Trust and the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board. This land will be protected as a Town Forest in perpetuity.
August 24 special meeting regarding trail planning
Meeting, August 24, 7:00pm
Community members are welcome to join in-person, by Zoom, or by phone. In-person attendees are asked to wear a mask in compliance with CDC guidance for Chittenden county. ACF agenda special meeting for 8-24-21
- In-person: Richmond Town Center Meeting Room, 3rd floor, 203 Bridge Street
- Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83328613099?pwd=Y3pzZTA4Ymg2S0x1SGJvZ25XQVpOUT09#success
- Phone: (929)205-6099 Meeting ID: 833 2861 3099 Passcode: 596340
Trail planning – The town hired a partnership comprised of a trail planning firm and an ecological assessment firm to propose a trail route informed by community member desires for forest-based recreation, the forest management plan, an ecological assessment completed when the town acquired the land, and an on-the-ground ecological assessment to be conducted by this partnership to inform more granular trail routing. The trail planning firm is Sinuosity. The ecological assessment firm is Arrowwood.
- Find the full report at https://arrowwoodvt.com/acf/.
- Direct link to the trail map: https://aevt.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a8f6b1539eb84e308fd78e36fc093e7a
Management plan – The Andrews Community Forest management plan, the development of which was informed via a public engagement process regarding desired uses and management of the forest, is available here: Forest Management Plan.
Table of contents
Scroll down to find each section of this page.
- Andrews Community Forest Management Committee
- Annual report
- Ongoing management actions
- Management plan
- Committee meeting agendas and minutes
- Other files
Andrews Community Forest Management Committee
The Andrews Community Forest Committee meets the last Monday of every month online via Zoom. Contact the committee at email@example.com
- Jesse Crary – Chair
- Ellen Kraft – Vice Chair
- Caitlin Littlefield – Secretary
- Wright Preston
- Tyler Merritt
- Amy Powers
- Cecilia Danks
- Jim Monahan
- Nick Neverisky
- Directions and Parking
- Winter trail map (accurate as of Feb. 22, 2021)
- Conservation Easement Map
- Natural Resources Map
- ACF Activity Map090419 (3)
- ACF CE Features Map 090419 (3)
- ACF FN Natural Communities Map 0904119 (1)
Ongoing management actions
The town has contracted with an ecological assessment company and a trail design company to develop a route for additional trails in Andrews Community Forest. Trails will be designed to support the needs of multiple user types (e.g., bikers, hikers, etc.) and the natural communities present in the forest. Ecological assessment and trail design are ongoing as of spring 2021.
2020-21 Forest Management at the Andrews Community Forest
Per the Andrews Community Forest (ACF)’s Forest Management Plan, a forest management project began in September 2020 in Stands 3, 4, and 6 (in the eastern portion of the property). This project will be underway through March, 2021, and perhaps again from August – November 2021. A major objective of the project is to provide opportunities for everyone to learn about forest management in an open, transparent and inclusive way. While COVID-19 means that public events at the ACF this year will be largely virtual, numerous opportunities will be provided for you to learn about this project, and we will resume in-person events as soon as it is safe to do so:
- Stay tuned to Front Porch Forum, the Andrews Community Forest Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/AndrewsCommunityForest) or email the Chittenden County Forester (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join his mailing list;
- Join us for our virtual event series, discussing the forest management project at the ACF with a focus on wildlife, Emerald Ash Borer, birds, carbon and climate change, and ecology and conservation. These events will feature a diverse group of partners, including Vermont Fish and Wildlife, Vermont’s Urban and Community Forestry program, Vermont Audubon, the Vermont Land Trust, Vermont Coverts, Vermont Woodlands Association and the Richmond Free Library.
- You can follow along with the progress of the job by watching regular short videos on the “Andrews Community Forest” Playlist on the Chittenden County Forester’s YouTube channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AanLRDAm3UE&list=PLWk3DKdWmNIb5VOql7MqxJ09GqXg0kPVl. Recordings of all of the webinars and online events associated with this project will also be stored on this page, for you to watch at your convenience.
- Map of forest management areas: ACF forest management marking map 071520
- Read the Vermont Dept. of Forests, Parks and Recreation’s press release on the project, here: https://fpr.vermont.gov/news/andrews-community-forest-management
For more details on the planned work, see the ACF’s Forest Management Plan on this page. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this project.
Forest Management Plan
The “Forest Management Plan” was approved on 11/18/19 (see link below). It is an addendum to the 2018 “Management Plan,” providing specific data and information on the management of forested stands at the Andrews Community Forest. This document focuses on forestry and ecological management (other documents related to the “Management Plan” below relate to holistic management of the parcel including recreation).
PDF: Andrews Community Forest MPlan FINAL – adopted 11-19-18
The “Management Plan” that was approved on 11-19-18 (see link below) provides general goals, objectives and administrative details for the management of the parcel.
Below are links to the draft of the “Andrews Community Forest — Forest Management Plan” and its attachments.
Committee Meeting Agendas and Minutes
06-28-21 ACFC 6_28_21 meeting minutes
06-16-21 ACF Meeting Minutes 6_16
05-27-21 ACFC 5_27_21 Meeting Minutes
04-26-21 ACFC 4_26_21 Meeting Minutes
03-29-21 ACFC Meeting Minutes, March 29, 2021
02-11-21 ACF draft minutes of 2-11-21
8-31-20 ACF committee mins 8-31-20
3-23-20 ACF Minutes 3-23-20
2-24-20 ACF Minutes 2-24-20
11-25-19 ACF Minutes 11-25-19
10-28-19 ACF Minutes 10-28-19
09-23-19 ACF Minutes 9-23-19
09-08-19 ACF Minutes 9-8-19
08-26-19 ACF Minutes 8-26-19
06-24-19 ACF Minutes 6-24-19
04-29-19 ACF Minutes 4-29-19
03-25-19 ACF Minutes 3-25-19
02/25/19: ACF Minutes 2-25-19
01/29/19: Forest Committee Minutes 1-28-19
10/10/18: RTFSC Meeting Notes 10-10-18
05/02/18: Minutes DRAFT
- Emails and Time Line on Western Gate on Andrews’ Community Forest: ACF western gate installation chronogy, 12-3-20 (with small update on page 3)